Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Write it Down!

It struck me as interesting and not coincidental that the message at church on Sunday seemed to have everything to do with this new blog, Girls Making Goals.  The main Scripture passage was from the short book of Habakkuk in the Old Testament.

"Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it,
For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay." -Habakkuk 2:2-3

The part of those two verses that jumps out at me is the instruction to "write down the revelation".  Other versions of the Bible say to "write the vision and make it plain".  A revelation or vision could very well be synonymous with a goal.

Numerous studies show that we are more successful at our goals when we write them down.  I've always been curious as to why that is, but I think that when you write down a goal, you are cementing your commitment in both your conscious and subconscious mind to bring it to pass. Consciously, you have a visual cue and reminder of what you intend to accomplish.  Subconsciously, your brain sets about the task of accomplishing steps towards that goal, whether or not you realize it.  That is the cool part!  Even if you write a goal down and promptly forget about it, there is a part of your brain that still remembers it.

After posting my goal of e-Publishing my vocal book, I happened to stumble across a bundle of eBooks last night on writing and the process of e-Publishing a book.  Again, I don't think it was at all coincidental that this happened!  I wrote down my goal and suddenly, I had new resources available to help me reach it.

Whatever goal you are currently working on, have you taken the time to write it down?  If not, here is a very simple assignment.  Stop whatever you are doing (hopefully still reading this post!) and go grab a post-it note or index card.  Jot down your goal, remembering to be specific and stick it somewhere you will see it every day.  Next week, we will revisit your written-down goal and see if having a visual cue has helped you work on the goal or brought you some unexpected resources.

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment